It’s back to school season and you know what that means. It’s cold season. If you have a child going to elementary or preschool this means everyone in the class will be sick within the first three weeks. We were lucky enough for our colds to hit in on week three. This sucks but this is the reality of my life. So as moms its always good to have a few natural remedies in your back pocket to keep cold symptoms at bay. Here are the 3 best essential oils to relieve cold systems.
Imagine waking up in the middle of the night with your two-year-old daughter screaming and coughing. But her cough isn’t a normal cough. It sounds like an old dog is stuck in her throat. Yes, it sounded like old yeller was in her throat. Immediately I started to panic because I had never heard a cough this bad. After calming her down we laid her back in bed. I was up for a good second trying to figure out what to do about her cough.
The next morning my husband reminded me of our essential oils. After much research I found the 3 best essential oils to relieve cold symptoms. I quickly put them in my diffuser and let the oils do their job.
This mix of oils lowered my daughters coughing and cleared her sinuses. Enough of the small talk lets get into these oils.
3 best essential oils to relieve cold symptoms
- Eucalyptus- Eucalyptus oil is known for its anti-viral and anti-bacterial healing properties. Inhalation of this oil is an effective way to relieve congestion. Inhaling the strong aroma of eucalyptus oil helps to loosen phlegm and alleviate congestion associated with the common cold and flu.
- Peppermint- Peppermint oil has antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, insecticidal, antispasmodic and carminative properties. Menthol provides effective relief from many respiratory problems including nasal congestion, sinusitis, asthma, bronchitis and the common cold and cough. It is often included as an ingredient in natural chest rubs to help with congestion. So, of course, I added it to my diffuser.
- Lemongrass- Lemongrass oil can fight bacteria and can help to treat colds, especially when used with a diffuser. If your body temperature is higher than normal, lemongrass oil can have a cooling effect.
How to use your oils
Now that you know the benefits let me tell you how to use the oils. I personally diffuse all of my oils in a diffuser. I have two different sizes as shown below. The larger one I use downstairs and the smaller one is used in the bedrooms. Here is how to use the oils in the diffuser.
- Fill diffuser to the max line with distilled water ( optional can use tap)
- add 2 drops of Eucalyptus oil, Peppermint oil, and lemongrass to the water.
- Cover diffuser
- Turn on
- Enjoy the benefits of 3 best essential oils to relieve cold symptoms
I hope this helps get the little ones feeling better quicker. If you enjoyed this post feel free to share and pin on Pinterest. Thank you for the continued support.